The Mizuno minimalist shoe, the Universe Wave 5, are awesome and most wear-testers will attest to that. The Wave 5 works so well for forefoot runners because these shoes are one of the lightest barefoot-inspired shoes, are super thin, flexible and durable for high mileage.
These shoes are very breathable, so they’d be ideal for running in hot weather. They are also extremely comfortable and feels like you’re wearing a sock!
Here are more details about the shoes:
- 3mm heel offset
- Weighs around 2 oz
- Wide toe box
- Dramatically strengthens feet, ankles and calves
- Softer than the Wave 3s and 4s
- Contains the right amount of cushioning (not too squishy, not too firm) that is thin enough so you can control your stride
- Machine washable
- Absorbs moisture, preventing your foot from slipping around inside the shoe
In my opinion, the Wave 5 has the most cushioning out of all the barefoot inspired running shoes, but you can still feel the road, just not as much as the Vibram FiveFingers, that is why the Wave 5 would be ideal for marathons or ultra-marathons (if you like added cushioning). The cushioning however, is thin enough that it forces you to develop a lighter forefoot strike.
Overall, the Wave 5 will help you combat knee pain and back pain and at the same time, good things will happen to your running form and performance.
When you’re undecided on choosing the best running shoe, be sure to check out my reviews on the best shoes for forefoot runners.
More From Run Forefoot:
P.S. Don’t forget to check out the Run Forefoot Facebook Page, for more tips on forefoot running, barefoot running and footwear or have your questions on these matters answered. I’ll be happy to answer them for ya!
BSc Neurobiology; MSc Biomechanics candidate, ultra minimalist runner & founder of RunForefoot. I was a heel striker, always injured. I was inspired by the great Tirunesh Dibaba to try forefoot running. Now, I'm injury free. This is why I launched Run Forefoot, to advocate the health & performance benefits of forefoot running and to raise awareness on the dangers of heel striking, because the world needs to know.
Latest posts by Bretta Riches (see all)
- Merrell Trail Glove 5 Review for Forefoot Running - 15/04/2019
- Vibram Minimalist Shoes Reduces Knee and Back Pain in Runners - 10/04/2019
- What is the Best Way to Run on Your Forefoot? - 04/04/2019