If you want a barefoot shoe for the marathon, or even longer distances, you’ll want to read this Five Fingers review of the Bikila Evo.
The problem with most barefoot-like running shoes is that they aren’t durable enough for long distance running on the roads. Then I discovered the Bikila Evo, which is an upgrade from the original Bikila and the Bikila LS.
Five Fingers Review of the Bikila EVO
One of the best long distance running shoes that feel barefoot is the Bikila EVO, which is a zero drop minimalist running shoe durable for running on any terrain, especially the roads. Because of this, the Bikila EVO has more underfoot padding compared to other Vibram running shoes, but they still give great barefoot feel without feeling any pain from sharp stones.
The Bikila EVO is known as one of the most comfortable shoes by Vibram. The insole is thicker (2mm), making stepping on sharp pebbles less painful.
Other highlights of the Bikila EVO for forefoot running:
- Lighter upper that is more breathable than the Bikila LS
- Can go for 400 miles without showing signs of wearing or tearing
- Easy to get your foot in
- Upper is made of heavier materials, keeps your feet warm during cooler runs
- The upper is also stretchy, so it accommodates any unique foot structure (i.e. bunions, hammer-toe)
- Rubber outsole grips well with the road
- The added durability and protection makes it great for long distance runs on the roads
- Great for flat feet -the barefoot-like design and no arch support forces you to run on the balls of your feet, which improves arch height.
- Slightly longer toe sockets
- Great for marathons and half-marathons
- Have been known to reduce ankle, hip and back pain (according to anecdotal reports)
- Zero drop construction of the Bikila EVO will stop you from heel striking when running.
- Max outsole thinness is 8 mm, letting you feel the terrain by giving you a wealth of proprioception.
The upper is very thin, flexible and breathable, great for long summer runs. The breathability is so great, it feels as if you aren’t wearing shoes at all. The upper is also stretchable, great if you have wide feet or bunions.
- The Bikila EVOs are not only super lightweight, but are easier to take off and put on.
And finally, the unique lacing system is a drawcord with a cordlock, providing a tight, snug fit to prevent the shoe from slipping. The shoe really does fit like a glove and you are able to run forefoot without any restriction!
Be sure to check out my other reviews on barefoot running shoes for forefoot running.
More From Run Forefoot:
- Info on Forefoot Running
- Why Barefoot is Best
- Bad Running Shoes
- Reasons to Transition From Heel Striking
BSc Neurobiology; MSc Biomechanics candidate, ultra minimalist runner & founder of RunForefoot. I was a heel striker, always injured. I was inspired by the great Tirunesh Dibaba to try forefoot running. Now, I'm injury free. This is why I launched Run Forefoot, to advocate the health & performance benefits of forefoot running and to raise awareness on the dangers of heel striking, because the world needs to know.
Latest posts by Bretta Riches (see all)
- Is Heel Strike Running Bad for Performance? - 19/03/2020
- Heel Strike Running May Cause Achilles Heel Tendonitis - 04/03/2020
- Best Barefoot Trail Running Shoes - 03/02/2020