If you are seeking a minimalist shoe that is structurally capable of handling long distance running, mud obstacle course races, rocky, uneven trails, or soft grass, my Vibram Five Fingers KMD EVO review will enthusiastically convince you that the KMD EVOs are one of the most durable Five Finger running shoes that gives you the biggest opportunity to make a positive difference in foot/ankle strength and overall mechanics.
Vibram Five Fingers KMD EVO Review for Forefoot Running
If you liked the Vibram Bikila’s, the KMD EVO are a more protective, warmer version. Like all Vibram running shoes, the KMD EVO’s are barefoot-inspired, structurally complimenting the anatomy of the human foot; they help improve sensory-motor coordination, but are tough on rocky paths, so you don’t feel every pebble under your foot.
The KMD EVO adds a little extra padding under your foot, making it a more comfortable trail running shoe as compared with most Vibram Five Fingers footwear. How much protection does the KMD EVO provide? Some minimalist runners may argue that the KMD EVO is too cushy, but there are many forefoot runners who enjoy super cushy shoes. So, if you love that cushy, plush, softness underfoot feel, this is why you’ll love the KMD EVO: it has a total of 11-mm of underfoot protection (2-mm EVA sock-liner + 6-mm EVA midsole + 3-mm rubber outsole) preventing painful pressure points on the foot during forefoot running.
Similar to the Vibram Trek Ascent LR, the KMD EVO is designed with exceptional durability, making it a superb endurance trail running shoe. The KMD EVO is also highly flexible and responsive –great for leaping over obstacles, making them highly suited for Tough Mudders and Spartan Races.
The under-foot materials provide a slight cushioning system, but still delivers an appropriate level of ground-feel to accommodate your forefoot strike. The tread patterns also delivers exceptional and aggressive traction in a variety of conditions. Overall, the net positive of the shoe is a trail racer that can handle serious mileage and trail races, and enables you to connect clearly with the Earth with more stability, while providing adequate protection against rocks and roots!
The KMD EVO is also foot conforming, giving a personalized fit, especially if you have wide feet!
Other notable features of the KMD EVO:
- More underfoot protection than the Vibram KSO Classics, Vibram Bikila EVO, but has less underfoot padding than the Vibram Trek
- Weave-based, mesh-like upper for excellent breathability
- Weighs between 5.64 oz to 7.4 oz (depending on the size)
- Upper completely envelopes the foot, sealing your foot in the shoe while keeping out debris
- Ideal for leaping, climbing and balancing; great for running on grass and sand; good traction for wet surfaces
- Robust, yet extremely comfortable upper materials; more durable than the upper of the Bikila EVO
- Velcro straps gives a more secure fit; prevents foot from sliding around inside the shoe; allows for quick and easy adjustments, also makes the shoe easy to put on and take off in a hurry
- Reduces knee and back pain; allows you to develop stronger arches; according to numerous wear-testers, the KMD EVO is a good solution for shin splints, runners knee
- Wide toe-box for optimal toe splay, providing sturdy balance; stretchy upper materials expand nicely over bunions; great for wide feet
- Very comfortable because of the added protection; you cannot feel sharp stones
- Machine washable and air dry; takes a little longer to dry due to the material thickness
- Great for walking and hiking in addition to running
- Excellent traction on wet surfaces
Withstand the challenges of rugged trails and get more connected with nature in the KMD EVO. Only such a shoe has the capacity to make you a better, stronger forefoot runner and achieve real results.
I also did a YouTube review of the shoe to give you a better impression on how amazing the shoe is!
If you love barefoot running shoes, you’ll love my other recommendations on these shoes for forefoot running.
Still lost on why you need to run in barefoot running shoes? Read my post on the countess benefits of zero drop running shoes.
More From Run Forefoot:
Finding it hard to forefoot strike? It could be your cushioned footwear.
3 detailed steps on how to learn forefoot running.
Who is Tirunesh Dibaba and Why We Need to Run Like Her?
Best places to get Vibram FiveFingers online.
BSc Neurobiology; MSc Biomechanics candidate, ultra minimalist runner & founder of RunForefoot. I was a heel striker, always injured. I was inspired by the great Tirunesh Dibaba to try forefoot running. Now, I'm injury free. This is why I launched Run Forefoot, to advocate the health & performance benefits of forefoot running and to raise awareness on the dangers of heel striking, because the world needs to know.
Latest posts by Bretta Riches (see all)
- How Being Barefoot Makes Your Feet Stronger - 21/10/2019
- Forefoot Strike Running May Prevent IT Band Injury - 18/10/2019
- Heel Strike Running May Fatigue the Legs More Than Forefoot Running - 05/10/2019