What improves speed in running? Barefoot running was shown to improve speed via the adoption of a forefoot strike in habitually shod heel strike runners instructed to run barefoot for the first time.
- barefoot running improved running economy, as less oxygen was used to fuel muscles
- barefoot running led to better force distribution and better utilization of the arch of the foot and Achilles tendon
- subjects had faster two-mile and three-mile run times after barefoot training and while running barefoot
- barefoot running led to faster running times because foot and lower limb mechanics improved
Interestingly, other work has shown that runners running barefooted, or in minimalist footwear, showed no difference in running economy. Perhaps, like running barefoot, running in minimalist footwear, encourages a forefoot strike due to the lack of padding and cushioned elevated heel.
Therefore, barefoot running and minimalist running, is moving closer to becoming a mainstream training strategy for competitive runners and for heel strikers wanting to transition to forefoot running.
Tips on How to Learn Forefoot Running:
- Barefoot Running Prevents You From Heel Striking
- How to Forefoot Strike
- Butt Kicking Drills to Learn Forefoot Running and Avoid Heel Running
- Calves and Achilles Tendon Strengthening Exercises for Forefoot Running
Run forefoot, you are faster than you think!
Baroody, N. (2013). The effect of a barefoot training program on running economy and performance. Undergraduate Research Journal. University of New Hampshire.
BSc Neurobiology; MSc Biomechanics candidate, ultra minimalist runner & founder of RunForefoot. I was a heel striker, always injured. I was inspired by the great Tirunesh Dibaba to try forefoot running. Now, I'm injury free. This is why I launched Run Forefoot, to advocate the health & performance benefits of forefoot running and to raise awareness on the dangers of heel striking, because the world needs to know.
Latest posts by Bretta Riches (see all)
- Barefoot Running May Prevent Impact Load Imbalances on the Body - 08/09/2019
- How Proprioception Helps Us Run Better - 07/09/2019
- Preventing Foot Stress Fracture From Running - 30/08/2019