If you liked the Vibram KSO, you will enjoy my Vibram FiveFingers KSO EVO review as the shoes are very similar. The only main difference is the KSO EVOs provide better warmth for running in cooler weather.
Minimalist running shoes don’t have to look boring, nor do your toes need to squish together while you run. Your toes need to spread when forefoot running, this is why I love the Vibram KSO EVO, a super thin barefoot running shoe that is warm enough for the cold.
When it comes to maintaining good forefoot running form, proprioception matters! That is, your feet need to sense the ground to avoid high impact landings. You have to remember that the bottoms of our feet are filled with sensory nerves. This is why our feet are very sensory-seeking and in order for our feet to thrive, the sensory nerves need to be stimulated. This is what makes the KSO EVO a fantastic forefoot running shoe because its very barefoot-feeling.
- The KSO EVO has a 4.7mm max ousole thickness, giving you excellent ground feel, allowing you to apply your best forefoot strike during running.
VFF KSO EVO Review for Forefoot Running
The KSO EVO are made for both trail and road running. They are also much thinner in the sole than the Trek and provide warmth in cooler conditions.
Like all Vibram barefoot running shoes, the separated toes prevents your forefoot from narrowing –if you have a bunion, your bunion wont advance because the toes aren’t being squished together.
Other Notable Feats:
- Provides an overall light and smooth fit
- Great for runners who overpronate
- Thinner than the Bikila EVO
- Great for everyday use
- Comparable to the Sockwa G4
- Easy to put on and secure
- Excellent overall protection
- Wide toe box allows for maximal toe splay for balance and energy return when forefoot running
- Lower profile than most Vibram running shoes
- Relieves toe pain
- 4.7mm outsole thickness, but provides protection from sharp hazards
- More padding than the KSOs, but still retains high degree of proprioceptive input
- Great traction with it’s zig-zag tread; handles well on rocky and wet surfaces
- Perfect for all activities aside from running, such as walking and hiking
- Reduces knee pain
- Super comfortable
- Gives you better control of your feet
- Convenient lacing system with added Velcro to prevent the cord from moving around
- High degree of flexibility improves circulation in the foot
- Stretchable, adapts well to the structure of your foot
- Flexible construction in the toes, allowing optimal toe flexion and extension
- Tread Safely – The XS Trek compound, zig-zag patterned outsole of the KSO EVO provides excellent traction and added flexibility in all directions.
The barefoot-inspired construction of the KSO EVOs allows you to train yourself to perceive plantar events more effectively, thereby improving reflexes related to applied loads to the foot, equipping you with the forefoot running technique you need to become a savvier, sharper, efficient runner.
Here are other barefoot running shoes to add to your glorious forefoot running shoe collection!
More From Run Forefoot:
Injury-proof your legs and feet with barefoot running.
Do you stretch before you run? Studies suggest you may want to warm up instead.
Why running without shoes feels strange at first.
Give yourself more energy before a morning run with these water-soluble energy tablets.
What is forefoot running and how can it protect you from injury?
BSc Neurobiology; MSc Biomechanics candidate, ultra minimalist runner & founder of RunForefoot. I was a heel striker, always injured. I was inspired by the great Tirunesh Dibaba to try forefoot running. Now, I'm injury free. This is why I launched Run Forefoot, to advocate the health & performance benefits of forefoot running and to raise awareness on the dangers of heel striking, because the world needs to know.