Before beginning your forefoot running journey, I think it’s important to illustrate elements you should avoid when running. Some of these may come as a surprise, but it’s vital to avoid the following to develop the proper forefoot running technique.
Here are lots of good running tips on the DONT’s of forefoot running.
Mechanical DON’Ts of Forefoot Running:
- Don’t Run on Unnatural Surfaces
- Don’t Overthink Your Mechanics
- Don’t Midfoot Strike
- Don’t Force a Higher Cadence
- Don’t Run on Treadmills
- Don’t Worry About Your Flat Feet
- Don’t Run with Upright Body Posture
- Don’t Lift Your Forefoot Before Your Foot Strikes the Ground
- Don’t Restrict Pelvic Rotation
- Don’t Move Your Legs More Rapidly to Accelerate
- Don’t Constantly Stare Straight Ahead
- Don’t Propel Yourself with Your Toes
- Don’t Run Too Slow
- Don’t Worry About Whether You Have High or Low Arches
- Don’t Obsess Over Arm Swing
- Don’t Land on Your Toes
- Don’t Learn Forefoot Running on Grass
Footwear DON’Ts of Forefoot Running:
- Don’t Wear Regular Running Shoes
- Don’t Wear Heavy-Weighted Running Shoes
- Don’t Frequently Switch Your Running Shoes
- Don’t Wear Running Shoes with Motion Control Features
- Don’t Wear Protective Footwear for Recovery
- Don’t Wear Shoes Advertised as “State of the Art”
- Don’t Wear Running Shoes with a Flared Heel
- Don’t Wear Running Shoes with a Thick, Soft Midsole
- Don’t Wear the Mizuno Wave Universe 3
- Don’t Wear the Nike Free
- Don’t Wear Running Shoes with Toe Springs
Therapeutic DON’Ts if You Experience Pain or Suffer an Injury:
- Dont Wear Heel Lifts
- Don’t Wear Knee Braces
- Don’t Waste Your Time with Therapeutic Tape
- Don’t Wear Arch Support
- Don’t Stretch. Period.
- Don’t Pre-Run Stretch
More From Run Forefoot:
- Empowering You to Better Understand Forefoot Running
- Flaws of Footwear
- Barefoot Running
- Reviewing the Best Footwear for Forefoot Running
- My Story
You Might Also Like:
- Purchase all your squash, racquetball, and tennis needs at Holabird Sports and receive free shipping on most orders!
- Shop West Marine!
- Use Coupon Code: SALE50 to save 50% on the SensEpilXL on silkn.com!
- Get Fit Faster with the Mio Heart Rate Sport Watches and Activity Trackers
BSc Neurobiology; MSc Biomechanics candidate, ultra minimalist runner & founder of RunForefoot. I was a heel striker, always injured. I was inspired by the great Tirunesh Dibaba to try forefoot running. Now, I'm injury free. This is why I launched Run Forefoot, to advocate the health & performance benefits of forefoot running and to raise awareness on the dangers of heel striking, because the world needs to know.
Latest posts by Bretta Riches (see all)
- Altra Escalante Review for Forefoot Running - 25/05/2018
- Vibram Five Fingers KSO EVO Review for Forefoot Running - 30/03/2018
- Proper Running Posture: Upright Trunk Vs Leaning Forward - 25/03/2018